Monday, December 29, 2008

WoW Minis- First Impression

I recently bought a complete set of the World of Warcraft minis. Given the amount of time I spend in Azaroth and the variety of minis I have, I almost had to.


The minis look great. The larger scale really allows for more detail than the 25mm figures. My only gripe in terms of the models is that so many of the figures are roughly the same size, regardless of what creature the mini is.


Fortunately, it doesn't look like Onyxia will have the same problem.




My general gripe is that UDE has needlessly ported over the "drop" concept for a lot of things that seem important to the game. The "Deluxe" set has random maps. As far as I am aware, getting monster bases is completely random (Alliance and Horde get three each in the regular starter set).
I still have to sort through the rules. My main hope for the rules is that is feels like a fight between Horde, Alliance, and Monsters. To often, collectable games become more about math that results in builds that bear no reflection to the setting that the game is based on. Heroclix and the VS system are the most recent offenders that come to mind. I'd really hate it if I went to play the game and had opponents breaking out an abomination of a team that included a Tauren, a Fel Orc, a Night Elf, and well, and Abomination.

No comments: